Facial Rejuvenation with Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
What is Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)?
- Platelet Rich Plasma, known as “PRP” is an injection treatment whereby a person’s own blood is used.
- Blood contains red cells, white cells, platelets and plasma. Platelets are very small cells in your blood that are involved in the clotting process. PRP is obtained by separating the plasma and platelets.
- When these separated platelets are activated and reinjected into the area to be treated, they release a number of enzymes or growth factors which promote healing. This process also attracts stem cells in order to repair skin tissue. As a result new collagen begins to develop.
- As the collagen matures it begins to shrink causing the tightening and strengthening of the skin tissue.
- When treating injured or sun and time damaged tissue PRP promotes remodeling of the tissue to a healthier and younger state.
Which facial and body areas can be treated?
The most common areas treated are: Eyes, Cheeks and Mid Face, Mouth, Neck, Chest and Décolletage, Jaw-Line, and Back of hands and arms.
- We will assess the degree of skin aging, perform a skin analysis and recommend a sensible treatment with
- Options of facial rejuvenation are explained to you, including efficacy and safety. Cost analysis is discussed and the number of sessions possibly required.
What is the process of facial rejuvenation with PRP?
- A photograph of the skin is taken to assist the follow-up and grading of the improvement.
- A topical numbing agent may be used to minimize discomfort. Mild sedation may also be used.
- Prior to treatment a blood sample of 1-2 oz is extracted from you. This blood is placed in the centrifuge for about 15 minutes. When centrifugation is complete your plasma will be separated from your red blood cells. The rich platelets are extracted and prepared for injection.
- The PRP in then injected into the skin. Platelets gradually increase collagen which can increase skin thickness and overall health of the skin.
- This process and injection time takes approximately 45 minutes – 1 hour in total.
How many treatments are required?
This will depend upon the health and age of your skin. Normally it is advised to have 2 – 3 treatments about 4 weeks apart.
How long do results last?
Treatment results vary, however in most patients the results last up to 18 months. Yearly touch-up treatments are recommended and will maintain the results.
Who should not have this treatment?
• Patients who have any kind of blood or clotting disorders and those on anticoagulation therapy.
• Patients with diseases of the skin such as scleroderma.
• Cancer and Chemotherapy patients
• Patients with Severe Metabolic and Systemic Disorder
• Patients with Chronic Liver Pathology
Side effects of PRP facial rejuvenation
Side Effects are Minimal: Generally you can expect swelling, bruising and redness for 12-24 hours, but it may last longer. Everyone heals at different rates so this is normal.
Expectations for PRP
• Results are visible at 3 weeks and improve gradually over ensuing months with improvement in texture and tone.
• Following a good skin care regimen such as BeckerMD Naturals can enhance the results.
• Advanced wrinkling cannot be reversed and a minimal improvement is predictable in persons with drug, alcohol and tobacco usage.
• Severe scarring may or may not respond.
Are results immediate?
Swelling from the fluid is what you will see and feel first. Once the swelling has subsided you will not see much initial change. Over a few weeks the PRP will stimulate growth factors which will assist in collagen growth and skin rejuvenation and your skin will appear fresher, tighter and glowing.
This is a safe and physiologically active procedure:
• Preparation is simple and quick, and completed in our office during your appointment time.
• It can be used in multiple areas for facial rejuvenation.
• Almost all skin tones show that the process is safe and effective because your own enriched plasma is used. Most, but not all grades of wrinkling can be improved.
The procedure is done in the office, no anesthesia is needed and there is no down-time. Although some patients may obtain the results they desire within one treatment, others may choose to return every three months for several visits to obtain the maximum rejuvenation effects of this one-of-a-kind treatment.
Ask our office staff for combination specials when you schedule your PRP facial rejuvenation treatment package.
Stem cells are cells that resemble embryonic cells, IE they do not have any definitive characteristics in terms of tissue structure but have the ability to transform into the type of cell that is needed.
For example, if trauma occurs in the tissues, the stem cells transform into fibroblasts and secrete collagen. They assist the healing process. They also transform into angiocytes, the cells that make new blood vessels, that bring blood flow into the area of injury.